Blueberries are perennial flowering plants with blue or purple berries. Blueberries are usually sprawling shrubs that can vary in size from 4 inches to 13 feet in height. The fruit is a small berry with a flared crown at the end. They are pale green at first, then reddish-purple, and finally blue when fully ripe. They are covered in a protective coating of powdery, thin wax.
Blueberries contain a plant compound called anthocyanin. This gives blueberries both their blue color and many of their health benefits. Each tiny berry is packed with a powerful cocktail of vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants to help ward off everything from high cholesterol and blood pressure to cardiovascular disease and cancer. In fact, studies have shown that blueberries contain one of the highest antioxidant levels of all fruits.
The health benefits are not limited to internal health, they also have serious benefits for your skin. It's no wonder blueberries are considered a superfood. There are tons of reasons to love these tiny but mighty berries. They help keep us looking and feeling healthy. Here are some of the many benefits of blueberries.
Benefits for the skin:
- Anthocyanins contain antioxidants that fight free radicals that damage your collagen. This keeps your skin looking younger longer.
- Antioxidants help protect against skin cancer.
- Improves skin tone.
- Good for your circulatory system as they keep capillaries and blood vessels flexible and keep them from breaking. They also help keep spider veins and varicose veins from forming.
- Acne prevention. Blueberries balance hormones and neutralize oil production in your skin.
- Anti-inflammatory. Inflammation is one of the major causes of wrinkles.
- Exfoliates skin. Blueberries contain small seeds that can be used as a gentle, natural exfoliant.
Blueberry seeds, along with other berry seeds, are used in face and body scrubs. Dried fruit seeds and fibers of berries such as blueberries can add color, exfoliation and interest to skincare products. These unique ingredients provide a naturally creative flair. Plus, who wouldn't want to scrub with such delicious ingredients?
We use blueberry seeds in our Wild Elderberry Fruitfoliant. Restore luminosity and clarity to your skin, with this purifying scrub. It will remove dead skin cells, thus uncovering fresh new cells and a youthful glow. This opens the way for moisturizing products to penetrate deeply into the skin, making them more effective.
If you enjoy learning about natural ingredients and how you can benefit by using them, then check out our other “Ingredient Highlight” blogs. You can also follow us on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook.